3.07.2012

I Heart CCM

I Heart CCM
If you know anything about me you know that I love Contemporary Christian Music (CCM).  I'm mostly referring to the music that came out during the late 80's and throughout the 90's.  I realize that this kind of music gets a bad rap, but I choose to chew the fish and spit out the bones.  Was there some really bad music made by Christians? Sure.  But there was some really great stuff written by very Godly men and women.  This is what I grew up on. If you grew up or live in the Houston area you know about 89.3 FM KSBJ.  That was the Christian radio station I listened to as a kid.  So I grew up loving singers and bands such as Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Wes King, Amy Grant, Point of Grace, Avalon, Jaci Velasquez, 4-Him, Third Day, Anointed, Keith Green, Kathy Traccoli, Steve Green, Al Denson, Wayne Watson, Audio Adrenaline, PFR, Delirious, the Newsboys (the original) and of course DC Talk.  And that's just to name a few.  Judge me if want. I like what I like.

All of these artists have a special place in my heart.  Each one has written or sung a lyric that still encourages and moves me closer to the heart of God even now as I remember them.  One of those artists whose lyrics have stuck with me since I was a kid is Rich Mullins.  Click here to read about his amazing life of service and dedication to Christ.  Right now the life of my family is about to be challenged greatly.  This is how Rich's music has encouraged me during this time of change.

"Hold Me Jesus"
If you're not up to date with what The Garcia's plans are these days here is a summary (feel free to read past posts for more detail).  We currently live in Davenport, Iowa.  In about three weeks or so we are moving to Fairfax, Virginia.  Why would we do such a thing?  We are going to help plant Harvest Bible Chapel Fairfax.  I am going to be the Worship Arts Director for the church.  We are more than excited to be a part of this.  About three weeks ago Robin, Adeline and I flew out to Fairfax.  We figured we should probably see the city before we moved there.  We began planning where to live and I sent out resumes and filled out applications.  Then something happened that I wasn't expecting.  I freaked out.  

I was rewriting my resume, working on cover letters, and trying to contact the right people to talk to.  And then a flood of unanswerable, worrisome, doubt-filled questions flooded my mind.  What if this bad thing happened? What if I can't do this or that?  Has God really called me to do all of this?  If I was more of a cryer I probably would have cried.  (I didn't)  Which brings me to Rich Mullins' lyric in the song, "Hold Me Jesus."

Well, sometimes my life
Just don't make sense at all
When the mountains look so big
And my faith just seems so small

Chorus:
So hold me Jesus, cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory
Won't you be my Prince of Peace

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight you for something 
I don't really want
Than take what you give that I need

Life isn't making sense!!!  My faith isn't big enough!!!  Ahhh!!  In that moment Jesus was my Prince of Peace.  And he has been since then.  Lest you think that has been the only "freak out" since then.  Another great song from Rich is "We are not as Strong as We Think We Are."  One of my favorite lyrics is, 


When you love you walk on the water 

Just don't stumble on the waves 

We all want to go there somethin' awful 

But to stand there it takes some grace 
'Cause oh, we are not as strong 
As we think we are


"It just takes faith, Ben."  "You just gotta jump out of that boat, Ben."  "God will provide, Ben."
I know.  I know. It's just not that easy sometimes.  Faith is hard.  I'm working through that.  Robin is too. She's gonna be a part of this church plant as much as I am.  This is the church our little Adeline is gonna grow up in.  
She may have been born in Iowa and will grow up in Virginia but she is gonna know what team to cheer for, believe you me. (y Los eSpurs tambien)

"Sometimes By Step"
This is one of Rich Mullins' most popular songs.  You probably know it or have at least heard of it.  Its called "Sometimes by Step."
Oh God, You are my God 
And I will ever praise You  
I will seek You in the morning 
And I will learn to walk in Your ways 
And step by step You'll lead me 
And I will follow You all of my days

And on this road to righteousness 
Sometimes the climb can be so steep 
I may falter in my steps 
But never beyond Your reach

So there it is.  My family and I are leaning to walk in His ways.  Step by step he leads us.  Though I would prefer to see a few steps ahead, even if I can't I will follow God all of my days.  I love this song.  It has been such an encouragement to me these latest days.  We have been greatly encouraged by our friends here in Iowa.  I've especially appreciated some of the other pastors here at Harvest Davenport who have shared there own experiences where their faith was tested.  God has proved himself time after time.  Growing up I saw it in the lives of my parents and now I see that same provision in my own family.  

How to Pray for the Garcias
1.) I need a job in Fairfax.  Until the church is up and running I am going to be working full-time to provide for my family.  We are praying for a job that pays well, has good benefits, and allows me nights and weekends off to be able to be involved with the church plant.

2.) Once the job is snagged we will need to find some affordable housing.  We are looking for a rental of some sort.  Townhouse, apartment, condo, mobile home, basement....anything as long as its at least two bedrooms.

3.) Pray that God continues to stretch our faith and reliance on him.  I feel like each "freak out moment" (haha) helps to toughen us up and learn to cling to God's grace.   

4.) Pray for the three other families who are moving out to Fairfax to help start this church.  The Brinkleys have three children, The Billmans just had their second baby not to long ago, and the Buragas have three kids.  Pray for the wives as they acclimate their kids to a new home and city. 

5.) Finally, Harvest Bible Chapel Fairfax (http://www.harvestfairfax.org/) is still in many ways an idea.  I'm sure there are going to be many obstacles and hardships that go along with this church plant.  At the same time, we look forward to seeing God's blessing and movement among the people of Fairfax.  Pray that this church would be used to glorify him and no one else, that many in the North Virginia area would come to know him.


[Special thanks to Rich Mullins for all of his music.  Though he is not with us any longer his music is still reaching people and glorifying God.  I hope to model his commitment to the Lord in my ministry and musicianship.]





1 comment:

  1. God is amazing and you will see amazing things as you follow. Tears well up in my eyes as I see your trust building and building. Its amazing what you can live without and what you can live with. We love you and continue to pray as you go.
    mom and dad

    ReplyDelete