1.02.2011

Thoughts about the Holidays

The Cowboys vs. Eagles game just started. Since this game really means nothing, I thought this would be a great time to put down the thoughts that have been rolling around in my head this past Holiday season.

"Jesus is the reason for the season."
Really? Every year we hear this. I just don't think its true. I would word it more like, "Jesus is one of the reasons for the season. Presents, trees, songs ect....are the other reasons." And thats fine. I am not trying to call everybody out on how bad of a Christian they're being cuz they open presents on the 25th. I'm just making an observation.

All of our Christmas traditions are a part of our culture, and I love it. I love opening presents with my family. I love hearing Nat King Cole's "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" twenty times in one hour on the radio. And I love hearing sermons about the birth of Jesus again. Why are we so adamant about this. Is it because it rhymes? Why can't we accept that as Christian Americans we celebrate Christmas a certain way. Jesus is always there, and during Christmas we give gifts.

I guess what I'm saying is "Jesus is the reason for the season" is almost the same thing as "W.W.J.D." It's a good thought, but its more of a concept or Christian fad than the way things are.


Happy New Year!!!
This year my wife and I had the privilege of bringing in the New Year with my good friends Joel Davis and Hailee Christal. I love celebrating New Years. Its like a yearly scheduled party. genius. I don't have a list of resolutions this year. Talking with Joel, he made the great point that as Christians we have a new beginning in Christ every day. There is one thing though that I definitely want to accomplish this year.
I have written quite a few songs in my day. I have yet to do a good recording of any of them. So hopefully sometime in the near future I can make that happen. I will be sure to let you know when I do.
My 2nd goal for 2011 is to graduate from college. I'm aiming to graduate in December this year. I started college in the Fall of 2002. ITs time to be done. It's beyond time.

I'm looking forward to this year and the blog posts it will bring. Also, please leave a comment. I need online affirmation. Its sad I know. Just say hi or something. Garcia, OUT!





8 comments:

  1. i wrote you up a longer comment but then pressed something and it all deleted. i just can't redo it. but yea thanks for letting the world into your thoughts. hope to run into you on campus. that's always fun. love you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Let me know when you have some recorded audio so I can snap it up.

    Next time you come to Austin and hang with Aaron and Marianna, let me know we'd love to stop by and say hi. I don't think I've ever seen Gina in my entire life (yes, I know that sounds weird).

    I love reading blogs, keep it up and I'll keep coming back.

    Blessings,
    your cousin ... to be more specific ... Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ben! Just a note about your comments...understandable, but I plea for a little compassion for your fellow Cliche Christians. Cliches like these are as much a part of our American culture as our Mexican "Vaya con Dios" or "dime con quien te juntas y te digo quien eres." They are just Biblical truths made simple for the simple. We understand that there is a sermon and Biblical interpretation behind the truths...but its easier to offer the cliche. Kinda like the fish symbol...We know a person may want to identify himself with the Lord and thus display a fish on his car...but we also know that scripture tells ua that not all who call him Lord will be acknowledged as His. So what, do we let the fish become a cause for disagreement? I'm just saying...lighten up on us American cliche hungry Christians. We know that the main reason we don't want to leave Christ out of Christmas is because we "mainly" want to acknowledge the birth of our Lord during this season...no it doesn't mean we don't enjoy the gifts...and Johnny Mathis. Just that we want to remind ourselves of our root beliefs. 's all. The simple can be simple and still have a testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK third time to try to write a comment. first let me see if I have this procedure down right....

    ReplyDelete
  5. online affirmation-doneskies.

    read it, love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Colin's accidental-deletion problem...twice. The first was long and pensive. The second was pragmatic and perturbed. Now I'm actually envisioning a fist battle between myself and an embodied Internet-demon.
    Good post, anyways.
    nb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Garcias!

    I missed bringing in 2011 with yall. It did not seem right with out the Garcias.

    I am sure you already know this, but finishing school is the best feeling! So get it done.
    Also, i hope the Ozark House gets a copy of your cd when it is ready.
    Miss you guys! When are you coming to see us?

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend who would probably help you lay down some tracks for a reasonable price. And I know a drummer (hint hint) who would help if wanted. Let me know if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete